Saturday 17 April 2010

Another day another run around the towns

Feeling good today, my legs still have a few aches and pains but otherwise I’m fine. Ran 6 and a half miles around part of the Tunstall route today. It’s quite hilly!!!

Then its was straight into the pool for a swim, managed 20 odd lengths.
So no ice bath today as I was at the gym.

What’s with the ice baths?
The ice bath is thought to constrict blood vessels and flush waste products, like lactic acid, out of the affected tissues.
Decrease metabolic activity and slow down physiological processes.
Reduce swelling and tissue breakdown.

Then, with re-warming, the increased blood flow speeds circulation, and in turn, improves the healing process.
I will also sometime use hot cold therapy to help reduce soreness. This is where I have an ice bath and then later have a hot bath and use a heat spray too.

I need to get my ice baths colder….

I have to run about 7 more miles this weekend to hit my 35 + miles target and its been a hard slog this week, really hard at times. There’ll be tears before this is over.
I’m at the business end of the training now and the next 4 weeks will push me like I’ve never known.
This is how committed I am to making this work and raising as much money for the hospice as I can.
I’ll find out where my breaking point is over the next few weeks and then I’ll push on from there!

Nothing that’s worth doing in life is easy!
Phil – 6 Towns Running

No comments:

Post a Comment