Saturday 24 March 2012

A call to arms!

Hello readers of my blog, this post may come across as a bit of a rant; its not intended to be such. More like me venting some frustrations.

As part of any fund raising campaign you try to gain as much coverage in the local media as possible and the bigger the fund raising event the more you try to push it out there and get people talking about it in the hope that it will bring in extra donations to the cause.

I got some disappointing news this week that BBC Radio Stoke are unable to give me air time as it clashes with Sport Relief and the news on the Olympic Torch relay. There are too many running news items!

When planning this years 6 Towns Run X2 I took into consideration lots of factors including trying to plan the timing around the big news items for the year. The Queens diamond jubilee, the torch relay through the city and off course the Olympics. In fact you’d be amazed at the level of planning that’s gone into the 6 Towns Run X2.

Pete Morgan (host of the breakfast show) will give me some shout outs which I’m thankful for but I’m slightly miffed that Sport Relief has pushed my endeavour out of the news.

Sport Relief does do a terrific job and raises huge sums of money and is ultimately responsible for my crazy running antics, as it was Eddie Izzard’s marathon running for Sport Relief that inspired me to do something good with my passion for running and willingness to put my health on the line for a good cause; so I’ll not diss anything or anyone that is out there trying hard to do good.

But what I want to get across is that I’m raising money for the Donna Louise Children’s Hospice in Stoke-on-Trent and that any money raised will directly affect the lives of local families who have a sick or life limited child.

I want to help to make peoples lives better and I can run ok so why not run a half marathon each day for 12 days in the hope it inspires people donate cash to the hospice and help them make every moment count and help me finish my challenge with a smile on my face knowing I’ve done something good for others.

So dear supporters, its up to us now to get the message out there and let people know what I’m doing.

So please like my face book page www.facebook.com /The-6-Towns-Run-X-2

follow me on Twitter @6townsrunner and share this blog.

If you have any media contacts then please feel free to contact them and ask for coverage. Its always been my belief that the more people who know what I’m doing the greater the chance of rising a good amount of money for the Donna Louise Trust.

I start running on Wednesday the 28th, and if you think this is a good thing that I’m doing then lets get the story out there.

Thank you

In other news I’m relaxed ahead of the start which is just 4 days away as I write this blog.

All the hard training work is done now and I’m collecting a few last minute bits from my sport nutrition sponsor Bee Health Foods in Cheadle to help support me on the runs next week. I’m getting donations in daily at the moment which is really helping me. The T-shirts have gone down a storm and I can see me ordering more next week. So wish me luck and please tell everyone you know about my mad plan to run 12 half marathons in 12 days.

Cheers

Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment